While we are anxiously looking forward to our new home, we are clearing out of our old one.
We rented a 50 box package from Polar Box; it costs about as much as cardboard, but we rent them, they get reused, and they have handles and stack well, so will theoretically be good for the movers.
But geez, when these are full they are heavy!
The steel part of the stairs will be put in on Monday, so in the meanwhile, the planks for the steps are being sanded and stained.
There is still a lot to be done for us to move in (12 days!), but our contractor assures us that the big stuff will all be ready. As long as the stairs go in and the finish work on the plumbing and electrical are done, I think we will be just fine.
Kitchen countertops are in! As well as the basic installation of our sink (still to be hooked up by the plumber when he does the finishing touches next week)!
I will post a review of my purchases later, but for now, just the photo…
The devil is in the details! Especially in every small nook of our home where mouldings are being installed.
Every bit of moulding gets its own custom cut; even that tiny bit tucked in there to the left of the photo. And given that we wanted to make the best use of every square foot, we have quite a few nooks!
No sooner did we install the floors than we covered them up!
To keep them nice while the final touches are happening, all of our floors have been covered. In fact, we are going to keep them covered through our move since I don’t want some errant rocks or salt crystals in the moving guys’ boots to nick up my lovely new floors! Plus, I am happy to do anything that will keep our final bill more reasonable… my bank account is groaning from our massive spending!
And on Saturday, the installers continued to the second and third floors to install the laminate flooring.
For now, it’s awfully dusty, but we will tend to that later…
Honestly, the look is a bit more rustic than I had imagined, but it fits relatively well with the wood on the ground floor (which will be the same we will use on the stair risers). The advice we got from our contractor, which makes a lot of sense, was to find something that looks good side by side, because they will be right next to each other where the floor meets the stairs, without trying to be too matchy-matchy about it, because there won’t be an exact match.
Here is a photo of the wood on top of the laminate, for comparison;
Why use laminate at all? It was one of our frugal compromises. First, we were impressed by the quality these days; it ain’t yo’ mama’s laminate! Second, it is about a third of the price ($6 per square foot for quality economical hardwood (although you could easily spend much more) vs $2 per square foot of quality laminate). Thirdly, it is super durable and low maintenance. And finally, it is on the upper levels, so less visible.
And here it is covered in oak! Stained a lovely shade of Amarula…
Cardboard is down to protect the wood… so the honour of the first scratches will be all ours!
Big clean up today so that floors can be installed starting tomorrow…
Wide open and ready for wood…
So, I mentioned the skylight. It is positioned directly above a light well in the staircase, so our hope is that it will welcome natural light in… all the way to the basement. I am sure it will look better once the scaffolding is down and the stairs are in, but for now, here is a view of the sky from inside!
The white roof was finished a couple weeks back. The roof was something we knew we had to do eventually, but given that it wasn’t in great shape and we would have needed to patch for the HVAC and skylight, we went for it right away. Not a beautiful investment, but an important one. The decorative bits will get a heavy coat of paint… eventually!
Speaking of the skylight, these photos were taken from inside the skylight. Photos tomorrow!